Thursday, April 21, 2011

Man and his Creator

"Remember that I am thy Creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed." pg 95

"Like Adam, I was apparently united by no link to any other being in existence; but his state was far different from mine in every other aspect." pg 124

"...no Eve soothed my sorrows nor shared my thoughts; I was alone. I remembered Adam's supplication to his Creator. But where was mine? He had abandoned me and in the bitterness of my heart I cursed him." pg. 125-6

As references appear sporadically in the novel relating Creature to the biblical Adam and Frankenstein to God the Creator, I ultimately realized Creature's view of Victor. He saw him as the only person who might give any bit of consolation to the exiled life he lived. Shelley incorporates biblical allusions into the story to call to mind possible faith questions. Creature relates himself to Adam for several reasons. He was made the only being of his kind with no mate to share in his struggles. He sees Victor as the only person readily able to create him a companion, just as God alone could create a companion for Adam. Also, Adam was abandoned and exiled by his Creator based on shame of the created. God punished Adam for sinning; Victor unknowingly punished Creature for being so terribly frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment